Sunday, January 3

Sunday ride


My initial plan for today was to go out to Eastridge wood nr Shrewsbury to check out some new trails. I woke up this morning to treacherous roads and so decided to leave the van at home and do some local riding in search of some new trails. The weather was pretty cold (doubt it got above freezing) but gloriously sunny and not a cloud in the sky. Decided to use the singlespeed again for some extreme gurning !


For some reason local trails are never considered to be as good as trails further away,but a return to the local stuff soon reminds me that I'm lucky to have such good local rides. The lanes were icy and one particular ford had me on my backside due to a full lane covered for 25 yards in thick ice. Within the woods the trails were free of ice and snow and rode very well for the time of the year. I spent most of the day looking for some new trails within several woods and had little success. I spent a lot of time walking back up trails that looked good and so had another almost embarrassing mileage total at the end of the day. It certainly felt I had put in a decent days riding come the end so happy in that respect.

Miles - 19.22
Time out - 2hr 59 min
Climbing - 4120 ft

A good day in perfect weather (for Jan). This singlespeeding is becoming addictive,even lane plodding is made interesting due to the effort required up moderate ascents. Might try a night ride in the week.

1 comment:

  1. Great photo's again buddy. I totally agree on your local trail thoughts, riding them new years day, after some time away from them, made me realise just how good they are. Again its miles under the belt in difficult weather conditions. let me no what night your thinking of riding? Cheers Bud. p.s enjoying the blog

    ReplyDelete