Friday, January 1

Day one...


New years day. Woke this morning with only a mild alcoholic haze. A full day today with no work only brings the problem of what to go out and do. Well I tweaked my calf at work on Thursday which pretty much ruled out any running. I have just converted a spare hardtail mountain bike into a singlespeed and I'm keen to see how this strange concept works. I Decided to retrace my daily postman route in the hills to see if I can possibly get to any of the 100+ houses I have been unable to reach due to the recent bad weather. The ride was very slow due to the almost impossible conditions at times,ice rink like or compacted tractor tyred rutted snow. I also bumped into a few familiar faces on the route which led to some "weather talk" and 20 minutes of shepherding with one of the local farmers! A trek up to the local high point (1200ft) also kept my average speed very low. The average speed and total mileage are not a concern at this time,time on the bike is everything at this stage.

Time out - 2hr 25mins
Miles - 17.3mile
Climbing - 2664ft

Fitness wise felt pretty good,still a way to go but not such a low base to start from. The singlespeed is good fun and will improve fitness and climbing in particular pretty quickly. I didn't feel the calf,so should be good for a run tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Great photo buddy, didn't manage to get into any snow that deep today but the ice was fun!! Good to get out though and a great way to start 2010;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 mile run completed today, biking at 7am in morning, man its going to be cold!!

    ReplyDelete