Sunday, January 24

First race of the year


Today was race number one of the season. There are normally some good races early in the year but due to the poor weather most have been cancelled or postponed. This was an event twice cancelled and was initially due to be held in December.
Telford 10k is a flat and fast course with a slight downhill start,which means any idea of "not getting carried away at the start" are thrown out the window.
If I'm to qualify for the World duathlon champs later in the year this distance is one I'm going to have to get familiar with,as it's the distance of the first run leg within the duathlon (10k-40k-5k).
I arrived in good time (50mins prior) and had a decent warm up with plenty of stretches,an area i am getting better at and seeing some positive results.
I started pretty well,felt quite comfortable going through the first mile (4.50) and tried to get in a group to get some rhythm going. However i managed to tuck in with a lad who had the most bizarre running style I've ever seen,legs all over the place. If i got to close i was being kicked !! So i pulled ahead of him and tried to settle into a good pace.
The last couple of weeks has seen me running pretty much at a plod mainly due to the underfoot conditions being so icy,and so with the lack of speed work this initial pace was completely foreign to me. However i stuck in there despite getting a slight stitch around the 3.5 mile mark. I ran through 5k at 16.40 and finally finished in a time of 33.54. I was pleased with the second half as i kept the pace up pretty well,we didn't benefit from the downhill start on the second loop.
All in all a good days work. I feel with a bit of speed work i can bring that time down by quite a bit.

Result 10k

15th 33.54

No comments:

Post a Comment